He was born in Valencia and belonged to a trainer who trained chimpanzees and rented animals for different purposes; television adverts, studio photos, movies, circuses etc. Behind the scenes Charly lived a life of hardship, locked in a tiny cage in a truck, where Marco, Pancho, Paquito, Pepito, Romie and Toni also lived. He was part of MONA’s first ever rescue and is one of the chimps to have best adapted to his new life. He has a reserved character and is very sensitive and intelligent, but this is not so easily determined by unfamiliar eyes.
His former owner was a trainer who used chimpanzees for TV shows and movies. He lived for more than eight years, in a truck, locked up in a cage from which he was never able to leave, and in the dark, unable to move or do any activity. When he came to MONA he showed signs of aggression due to insecurity, and any unknown thing scared him. When stressed he moves his head in circular motion for a while.
He has gained a lot more confidence and is one of the pillars of the males group.
GROUP AND SITUATION
He belongs to The Male Group and is one of the chimpanzees of the group who is competing to be alpha male.
- He likes enrichments that pose new problems to solve. He is very good at finding new solutions and inventing new tools to obtain the enrichment prizes. He even cries with excitement when he sees that he will be participating in cognitive experiments, which present complex problems to solve which he’s come to really enjoy.
- When Charly makes his nest for sleeping he doesn’t seem to mind if Toni shares it with him every night.
- When Charly meets new volunteers he throws straw at them for some weeks because he’s very suspicious!
- When you do not know Charly, he’s easy to identify by his split ear and grey back.
- When Charly meets a new male, he’s very playful despite his imposing size.
We call his group The Males Group. The group consists of five males; two teenagers and three adults. The idea is to integrate new male rescues into this group as this is a much less dangerous procedure than with a mixed group containing females.